A judge has granted a full temporary order of protection for the woman involved in the case against Jonathan Majors stemming from an alleged domestic dispute.
The order, which was requested by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office, was granted with the consent of defense counsel, Doug Cohen, the press secretary for the DA, told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement Thursday. A limited temporary order of protection had been granted during Majors’ March arraignment. He is slated to appear in court on May 9.
The news comes after Majors’ legal representation released video and texts they say are related to the incident between Majors and an alleged victim. It also follows Majors being dropped by both his management company, Entertainment 360, and public relations teams, The Lede Company, this month.
The update in the status of the restraining order is the first public comment the Manhattan District Attorney’s office has made regarding the case involving allegations of assault against the actor stemming from what New York authorities described as a domestic dispute.
Majors was arrested on March 25 in New York on suspicion of strangulation, assault and harassment after police responded to a 911 call related to a domestic dispute in the Chelsea neighborhood. The incident, according to a spokesperson for the New York Police Department, involved the 30-year-old woman who alleged she had been assaulted by the actor, reportedly resulting in the woman — who was not identified by police — sustaining minor injuries to her head and neck.
She was transported to a local hospital while Majors was arrested, without incident, and charged by the Manhattan district attorney. Among those misdemeanor charges were strangulation, assault and aggravated harassment. The Creed III actor was released from police custody the same day with a limited order of protection.
In an initial statement, reps for the Devotion star said “he has done nothing wrong,” a stance that was echoed in a similar statement from Majors’ criminal defense lawyer, Priya Chaudhry, on Sunday, who said the actor is “completely innocent and is provably the victim of an altercation with a woman he knows.”
Following a Variety report this month that multiple individuals had come forward and were speaking to the DA in relation to Majors’ case, his lawyer continued to defend his innocence, stating that he “has not abused anyone.”
“We have provided irrefutable evidence to the District Attorney that the charges are false. We are confident that he will be fully exonerated,” Chaudhry added.
Chaudhry added at the time that Majors’ legal team was gathering video footage from a vehicle identified by the lawyer as the location of the incident, along with several witnesses’ testimony and allegedly two statements from the woman recanting her allegations. “All the evidence proves that Mr. Majors is entirely innocent and did not assault her whatsoever,” Chaudhry said.
That same day, a representative of the Army Enterprise Marketing Office also announced that a larger ad campaign featuring the actor, with placements tied to the NCAA Final Four tournament, had been paused as a result of his arrest. “While Mr. Majors is innocent until proven guilty, prudence dictates that we pull our ads until the investigation into these allegations is complete,” Laura DeFrancisco, public affairs chief for the office, said in a statement.
Leave a Reply